Georgia's public libraries are required to follow the Secretary of State's rules and regulations for gving patrons the opportunity to register to vote. PINES libraries will keep records of voter registration and declination electronically within the PINES user record. Each time a user record is created or modified, the patron must be asked if he/she wishes to register to vote, and his/her decision must be recorded in the designated field.
Libraries are required to:
- Offer the opportunity to register to vote each time a patron applies for or renews services (including change of name or address), and record the response in the patron's account.
- Accept completed voter registration applications and mail them to the Secretary of State’s office.
- Record and submit numbers of registrations and declinations to the Secretary of State's office.
- Assist applicants in completing the voter registration application when assistance is requested.
- Provide the same degree of assistance to each applicant in completing the voter registration application as the agency provides to an applicant in completing its own forms.
Mailing Voter Registration Applications
Accept completed voter registration applications and mail them to the Secretary of State’s office. Libraries are required to mail any completed voter registration applications weekly. The exception to this rule is during the 15 days prior to any registration deadline when submittal of any completed applications to the secretary of state elections office must be made daily.
Pre-addressed, postage-paid envelopes may be requested through the Secretary of State's Supply Order Form.
Reporting Registration and Declination Numbers
Libraries must report to the Secretary of State’s Office regarding the numbers for those registering to vote and those declining; there are two options for reporting this information.
- Libraries may use the Daily Recap Forms furnished by the Secretary of State’s Office (click here to download the Daily Recap Form); these must be mailed at least weekly except in the period beginning 15 days prior to the registration deadlines when they must be mailed daily; OR
- Libraries may e-mail the number of newly registered voters and those declining to register to vote to firstname.lastname@example.org. This information must be emailed at least weekly except in the period beginning 15 days prior to the registration deadlines when the numbers must be e-mailed daily and the completed voter registration forms must be mailed daily.