2008 PINES Annual Membership Meeting


PINES Annual Membership meeting

Minutes approved 5/20/2009

Microsoft Word Version (original)

May 15, 2008 – 10:00 AM
Warner Robins, GA

I.      Call to order. 

[Lisa Rigsby whistled for quiet at 10:11 AM, with an admonishment from Chair Joe Shinnick at 10:12 AM.]

II.     Welcome. – Joe Shinnick.

New directors and substitutes recognized.
Thomas Jones – Middle Georgia Regional
Lace Keaton – Okefenokee Regional.
Norris Wootton – Kinchafoonee Regional.
Sarah Paulk (substitute) – Coastal Plain Regional.
Jeff Tomlinson (substitute) – Uncle Remus Regional
Thank you to the Houston County Library staff for their hospitality.

III.    Roll call.

40 out of 49 PINES library systems were represented at the meeting.
Missing were:  Clayton County, East Central Georgia Regional, Elbert County, Flint River Regional, Hall County, Lee County, Moultrie-Colquitt Regional, Piedmont Regional, Troup-Harris Regional, Worth County.

IV.     Approval of the Annual Membership Meeting minutes from May 17, 2007.

Motion to approve – Susan Whittle.
Motion seconded – Barry Reese.
Minutes approved.

V.      PINES Staff Reports.

PINES budget - Elizabeth McKinney.  The budget has been approved by the Governor.  A lot of the budget will be going toward staffing and the courier service.

Courier service – Tim Daniels & Lee Dollar (Sara Hightower Regional).  The current process costs $340K.  Students of logistics from Georgia Tech are working on an analysis of the RFPs from six delivery companies.  According to the research on an in-house courier service, it would cost $550K to cover all library systems with state contract leasing for vehicles, 7 full-time drivers and 8 part-time drivers.  A sorting facility could be located most economically in Decatur.  Vehicles could be flex-fuel Rangers and 150 vans, with big transport trucks for shipping items from south GA to Decatur.  Fuel cost estimates were based on $4.00 per gallon, and Lee has explored alternate fuel options, as well.  The estimate also includes $90K for sorting machines/equipment.

PINES bags - A courier decided to redistribute the bag shipments as he saw fit, so the bags will need to be shifted.  Reimbursement checks went to the Board of Regents (BOR), so cost calculations will have to be examined.

Training – Katherine Gregory. 
Pat Carterette is the new Continuing Education person.  515 people have been trained since the May meeting, in various classes, including 142 people during the PINES meeting.  There may be a “cataloging summit meeting” soon.

Cataloging Report – Bin Lin.  Currently consolidating all cataloging information, procedures, and software.  Has conducted twelve cataloging classes since last year, and will be looking to expand the roster of CE instructors.  The list of approved vendors has been updated and is available on the HelpDesk page.

Community Building – Tim Daniels. 
Conducted PINES/Evergreen training at Washington, Oregon, and Alabama conferences.  Rhode Island and Nebraska are upcoming.  400 people attended the PINES/Evergreen seminar at PLA.  There seems to be a big ripple effect, possibly due to rising costs.  PINES has spread to British Columbia, the state of Indiana (and Niles from Indiana is giving us his telephone notification software), the Michigan Library Consortium, and several academic libraries in Canada.

Statistical Reports – Katherine Gregory.

[See handouts:  “PINES Overdue Materials”, “IntraPINES Holds Transits”, “Hold and Transit Counts” (pending).]
PINES circulation – 1,311,784 last year.
Kathie Ames strongly requested user-friendly reports templates be made a priority.  Some discussion followed, and assurances of action, but version 3.0 is not exactly close.
HelpDesk – Fewer tickets, but more complex questions.

PINES Group Orders – Tim Daniels.  Nicole Lewis will be the contact person for equipment orders.

New Libraries – Elizabeth McKinney.  Added the following libraries:  Troup-Harris Regional, Lake Blackshear Regional, Hall County (Spout Springs), West Georgia Regional (2 branches). 

Quitman Library will shift to Kinchafoonee Regional as of July 1st.

Worth County is a new system as of July 1st.

Catoosa County is a new system as of July 1st.

PINES User Survey Results – Elizabeth McKinney.  [See handout – “PINES Annual Patron Satisfaction Survey”.]  1200 responses – will be posted online.  Dusty Gres expressed dissatisfaction with the survey and its difficulty of use.

Software Development – Sally Murphy.  [See handout – “Priority List”.]  Meeting with subcommittees and working to modify the process for prioritizing.  Upcoming releases include a new searching algorithm.  [See handout – “Evergreen Development Update:  1.2.2 and 1.4”.]

Acquisitions – Tim Daniels.  The pre-Alpha release is scheduled for early June/July.  Discussion – Buy-in from the community seems reduced because input from the directors seems diminished.  Elizabeth says that the product is being developed according to focus-group notes.

WebJunction – Tim Daniels.  Georgia is one of four WebJunction libraries in the country.

PINES Staffing – Currently there are three open positions:   Systems Administrator (there may be a good candidate), Software Development Manager (to work with Equinox), HelpDesk Assistant (to be advertised soon).

VI.     Membership Action Items.

Proposal to Change in Membership Agreement.  [See handouts – “Proposed wording to add to PINES Membership Agreement” and “Georgia Library Public Information Network for Electronic Services – The PINES Membership Agreement”.]
Motion to accept the proposed wording change, to be inserted between (7) and (8) under “Membership”, section III – Greg Heid.
Motion seconded – Jim Cooper.
Approved unanimously.

VII.    Executive Committee Election Results.

Rotating off of the Committee – Carolyn Fuller, Claire Leavy, Lois Roberts.
New Committee members:  Lecia Eubanks (At-Large), Claudia Gibson (Small Library Systems), Thomas Jones (Large Library Systems).
New Chair:  Marsha Christy.

VIII.   Old Business.

Debbie Manget asked about updates to last year’s issues.
Motion that the PINES membership look into the possibility of freezing habitual Holds abuser patrons’ ability to place Holds. – Debbie Manget.  Motion withdrawn.

IX.     New Business.

Greg Heid proposed a standardized PINES statement regarding materials challenges from other PINES systems.  Such a statement will be drafted by the PINES staff – possibly an adaptation of a similar OCLC statement.

X.      Issues/Requests/Discussion/Reports from the membership.

Donna Howell would like to see the PINES website updated more frequently.

XI.     Next meeting.

PINES annual meeting – see directors’ information packets.

XII.    Adjournment.

Motion to adjourn – Carolyn Fuller.
Motion seconded – Lisa Rigsby.

Respectfully submitted,
Richard Sanders – Secretary