All Acquisitions libraries are allowed to use on-order holds. However, because the workflows change slightly when using on-order holds and some settings change, any Acquisitions library wishing to use on-order holds must notify the PINES Acquisitions Specialist first.
Normally Acquisitions libraries set up their shelving locations to hide their Acq copies from the public. However, for libraries that do use on-order holds, these copies need to be visible to the public as well as holdable. Therefore libraries using on order holds should modify their ON ORDER shelving locations to these parameters:
Libraries using on order holds must use the circulation modifier “on-order” when they are updating line items in Acquisitions. That way when the Acquisitions copies are created automatically, they will have the on-order circulation modifier. The copy retains this circ mod until it is in hand and cataloged.
The settings around the “on-order” circulation modifier are intended to limit holds on items with the “on-order” circ mod to only a system's patrons. It is intended to work similarly to AV materials, where only patrons of the system are able to place holds on the items. Once the items are cataloged and use a circulation modifier such as book, audiobook, etc, they are protected as normal by age protection.
Cataloging when a library uses on-order holds is fairly similar to cataloging with Acquisitions without on order holds. The only difference is that catalogers should also move any title-level holds to a matching record when they move their copies.
1. Locate a good OCLC record that matches your item in hand. If it does not already exist in PINES, import the record via Z39.50.
2. In your target OCLC record, click the button for Mark For and select both Title Hold Transfer and Holdings Transfer.
If you click Mark For again, you can confirm that you have the record marked because you will see (Currently [recordID] next to both options. This number will match the Database ID that you can see in the Record Summary at the top of the record.
3. Return to your Acq record and select all your copies that you will be transferring.
4. Click the Actions button and choose Transfer>Volumes to Previously Marked Destination.
5. Your page should refresh, and the volumes should be gone.
6. Go to the View Holds tab on the record and change the Pickup Library selector to your context org unit.
7. If there are any holds on the record for your system, they will populate in the grid below. Select all of the holds.
9. The page will refresh and the holds will be gone.